Thursday, July 22, 2010

Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia is a common problem among many men. In fact, 1 out of every 10 men is affected by gynecomastia. Gynecomastia is a medical term derived from the Greek words for “woman-like breasts”. Enlarged breasts on young boys are very common as they reach puberty and adolescence. In some cases these breasts resolve while in other cases, the breasts persist into adulthood. Enlarged breasts on a man can result in social embarrassment and can be detrimental both psychologically and emotionally.

Fortunately, there are simple yet effective surgical treatments for men with gynecomastia. Breast reduction using liposuction, surgical excision, or a combination of both can give men an excellent chest contour and appearance. At Aesthetic Plastic Surgery of Delaware, I use a minimal incision approach utilizing ultrasound assisted liposuction to remove the breast tissue and contour the chest. This results in a normal appearing chest contour with improved appearance and almost no scarring. Recovery from the procedure is rapid and most men are back to their usual level of activity very quickly.

Gynecomastia surgery is very simple and straightforward and yet, I find that it is one of the most rewarding procedures that I currently perform in my practice. From the physical standpoint, the appearance and contour of the chest is improved tremendously. Many of my patients tell me that they are finally able to take their shirts off in public without embarrassment or anxiety. There is also an emotional and psychological benefit in that my patients tell me they feel more confident both in and out of clothes. Most of my patients tell me that their self confidence improves and that they feel better about themselves after the surgery. That type of benefit is difficult to put a price on but gives me a great amount of satisfaction on both a professional level (as a physician and surgeon) and also on a personal level as well. If you would like to learn more about this or any of our other surgical and non-surgical procedures, contact me today at (302) 656-0214 to set up a complimentary consultation.

No comments:

Post a Comment